October 1st, 2009 by Zac
This summer, Kompas Training Center coordinated seven English camps, and with God’s power shared His story with over 275 students; 186 of which were unbelievers. After camp, we received the following thoughts from one of the students. I believe this represents the typical pattern of how God begins to move in student’s hearts through the camp experience.
“I came to camp with no idea about Christianity (the reason I came was for the English), but after cam,p my eyes have been opened. Now I can see the option of free choice. I am not saying I am leaving from camp as the Christian, but for sure I am pondering about some stuff I would have not even considered before the camp. It is very difficult to express my thoughts in words, but the truth is that basically as a non- believer I am living just for myself and it does not bring too much satisfaction. The care I experienced at camp fascinates me, thank you. I am still pondering…” – Zilina, SK
KECY (Kompas English Camp for You) is our English camp ministry that partners Slovak and North American church teams, college interns, and Slovak teenagers. It’s a cross-cultural training tool that allows church groups to be the hands and feet of Christ in building relationships and sharing Christ with students in a non-threatening environment. And after camp, the road continues as we walk with students in discipleship relationships and small groups.
A few weeks ago, we visited all the participating Slovak youth groups that are now following up with this summer’s camp students. At the end of our visits we counted 45 students who had proclaimed Jesus as their Lord and Savior and many more seeking truth. Praise God!
In a country that has less then 1% who knows Jesus Christ personally, we are praying and pleading with Him to provide us with partnerships to help us reach the remaining 99%.
Next summer we plan to do 12 English camps with four intern teams. To accomplish this, we have two needs:
1. Short-term teams – We need 12 short-term teams from North America, made up of 8 to 10 members (high school seniors and/or college students, single adults, and/or young married couples) to participate in KECY.
Our Camp dates for next summer are:
June 30 – July 10
July 13 – 23
July 26 – Aug. 5
The estimated cost is $800, plus airfare.
2. College Interns – We need 15 college students for a summer-long, cross-cultural internship. The dates are tentatively May 27 until Aug. 10. The estimated cost is $3300, plus airfare.
As you can see, we are dreaming big. So, if you know any churches or young people who would be interested in serving God this way next summer, please let us know.